By Dustin Simpson, California RV Specialists
Here is an important reminder to torque lug nuts! If your lug nuts are not torqued enough they can become loose and may continue to loosen until they fall off while driving. In any case, driving without one or more functional wheel studs can be dangerous and could result in losing a tire while driving, a situation you do not want to be in!
The owner’s manual on every new RV states that you should re-torque the wheel nuts or lug nuts after the first 100 miles or so. After that, you should periodically recheck the torque to make sure nothing has changed.
Every time a tire is reinstalled:
- Torque lug nuts to the manufacturer’s specified range.
- Check and re-torque after 50 miles for the first 200 miles. Thereafter, check lug nuts before each trip.
FAILURE TO FOLLOW ALL INSTRUCTIONS COULD RESULT IN DEATH OR SERIOUS INJURY.
- 1/2-inch Drive Click Torque Wrench, 10-150 ft.
- 1/2-Inch Drive 6-Point Impact Flip Socket Set
- 1/2-Inch Drive Metric 6-Point Thin Wall Impact Flip Socket and Knockout Bar Set with Half Sizes
- 1/2 inch Drive Impact Lug Nut Socket Set, 15 17 19 21 22 MM Non-Marring Thin Wall
- Compressor Pump for Car, Heavy Duty Portable Tire Inflator 150PSI with LED Work Lights for Auto,Truck, SUV, RV
- 12V 12′ Foot Heavy Duty Extension Cord with Cigarette Lighter Plug Socket
- Heavy Duty Tire Repair Kit for Car, Truck, RV, SUV, Trailer. Flat Tire Puncture Repair Kit
- Digital Tire Pressure Gauge
More from Dustin
Read more of Dustin’s articles here.
Dustin owns and operates California RV Specialists, an independent RV repair shop located in Lodi, CA. He thrives on sharing his knowledge and enthusiasm of RV repair and maintenance with his team, customers, and virtual friends.
Be sure to check out his YouTube channel where he shares what’s going on in the shop and the product offerings in the store. Dustin is also very active on Facebook. Join his group, RV Repairs and Tips – What’s in the shop!
Dustin proudly operates the business alongside his wife, Ashley; but the true pair that run the show are their Boston Terriers, Arvie and Hitch.